Whether you are a Kerry local, a Tralee resident, or just visiting the Kerry Capital for the first time, you want to make the best of every minute you spend in the charming town of Tralee. In this post, we share a fun yet enjoyable way to spend 24 hours in Tralee including an extensive list of activities to choose from.
Let’s get into it.
6 am – 10am
If you are staying with us at the Hotel, you would be waking up to a beautiful sunrise and heading down to breakfast. Breakfast is served at The Park Restaurant at 7am (weekdays) or 7:30am (weekends). We provide a continental breakfast from the buffet, and a cooked breakfast from our menu.
If you aren’t staying with us, no worries at all. You can still enjoy a lovely breakfast at one of the cosy diners, restaurants, and pubs in the heart of the town. Here are some of our top recommendations:
• The Roast House, Denny Street (Monday – Saturday)
• Coffee Start, The Mall (Monday – Sunday)
• Yummy Cafe Market, Dominick Street (Monday – Saturday)
• NorthSouth, Russell Street (Monday – Saturday)
• The Daily Grind, The Mall (Monday – Sunday)
Perhaps you prefer to skip breakfast altogether, why not go on a relaxing “waterside” walk such as the Tralee Canal Walk or a walk around the Tralee Bay Wetlands. These walks are relatively easy, family friendly, pet friendly, and take about 2 hours to complete.
10am – 12 noon
After a nice hearty breakfast, you will want to sit back and relax while you prepare for the next group of activities. If you are staying with us at the Hotel, you can retire back to your room for a quick rest or catch up on recent events with a newspaper in the lobby. If you aren’t staying with us, this would be the perfect time to sit and enjoy the peaceful yet vibrant sights and sounds of the Tralee town park – just 5 minutes’ walk from the Hotel.
12 noon – 4pm
It is now officially noon! Time to pick your activity for the day and trust us, there are loads to pick from! If you are spending the day with the kids, here are a few options for a fun kid’s day out:
• Predator Paintballing: Lismore, Tralee
• Tralee Equestrian Centre: Tonevane, Tralee
• Bowling Buddies: Manor East, Tralee
If your kids love to explore, you can also take them with you on a few day tours such as the Fenit Sea Safari or Tralee Bay Experience.
If you are solo travelling or traveling with friends, you can explore some exciting activities for solo travellers, friends, and couples:
• Go shopping in Manor West Retail Park: food, furniture, clothing, travel, there’s something for everyone.
• Explore the majestic Ballyseedy Woods: less than 10 minutes’ drive from the Hotel.
• Go “Castle hunting” – Visit Ballybunion Castle, Rattoo Round Tower, Ballyheigue Castle Listowel Castle, Ardfert Cathedral, Ballyseede Castle – all about 30 minutes’ drive from Tralee town centre.
• Enjoy a day trip to a neighbouring town to enjoy the scenic views, lovely food and chat with the locals – we recommend Fenit or Dingle.
4pm – 7pm
Best way to end a full day of activities in Tralee? Head on down to the beach! Tralee is surrounded by several beautiful blue flag beaches including Banna, Ballybunion, Ballyheigue, Fenit and Inch beach. All about 30 minutes’ drive from the town centre.
7pm – 10pm
Whether or not you’re staying with us at the Hotel, you can head on over to Dott’s Bar at The Rose Hotel to enjoy a warm and delicious meal and maybe a few drinks afterwards. Not sure what to get? Here are our top recommendations:
• Starter: Tempura Tiger Prawns – comes with Honey Ginger and Soya Dip and Cucumber and Mangetout Salad.
• Main: Grilled 8ozSirloin of Irish Red Hereford Beef – comes with Vine Tomato, Flat Cap Mushrooms, Peppercorn Sauce or Garlic Butter. Served with Fries, Salad and Onion Rings!
• Vegetarian/ vegan: Tofu Buddha Bowl - Quinoa, Chickpeas, Avocado, Pickled Red Cabbage, Dried Chilli, and Tenderstem Broccoli
• Dessert: Bread and Butter Pudding – Rum-soaked Raisin Ice Cream and Vanilla Bean Custard
10pm – Close of day
Don’t retire to your bed just yet. Take advantage of some evening entertainment including Live music at Dotts Bar (weekends) or visit some of these pubs and bars in the town centre:
• Kirby's Brogue Inn, Rock Street
• Sean Ogs Bar, Bridge Steet
• Paddy Mac’s, The Mall
After an exciting day in and around the town, followed by a delicious meal at Dotts Bar and a lively night out, it’s now time to retire for the day.
We hope you’ve had the most amazing 24 hours in Tralee and we can’t wait to welcome you back to The Rose Hotel :)